Niger State on Saturday imposed a 24-hour lockdown for two weeks as part of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus in the State.
The State Governor Abubakar Bello disclosed this during press briefing shortly after a joint Emergency Council and State Task Force on COVID19 meeting at the Government House in Minna.
Bello said the emergency meeting addressed the recent challenge arising from the recorded case of COVID19 in Limawa area of Minna.
He said the state decided “a complete lockdown of the state for a period of two weeks starting from April 13” to combat the virus.
He said that a window had been created to allow people to replenish household essentials between April 16, April 20, April 23 and April 27.
“This period is not for social activities or religious gathering, Its to allow people to purchase food and necessary items to make them comfortable in their various homes.
“It is a window that is not be abused or used for naming, wedding or any social gatherings. We are concerned about the hardship of people but, however, it has become necessary in view of the recent positive case recorded in Minna” he said.
Bello added that all congregation including religious activities in public places had been suspended.
He noted that all prayers should be conducted at home and maintain social distancing as violators of the law would be prosecuted.
He also announced the ban on interstate and intrastate movement, saying that all civil servants except those on essential services, are to operate from home.
The governor noted that all borders would remained closed as occupants of vehicles on essential services would be tested at all entry points.
Bello said that Limawa community would be put on complete isolation to enable health workers conduct sensitisation on the spread of the virus.
“We are focusing on Limawa because the first case was recorded there, where a man who returned from a journey was not allowed into the house by his family who immediately reported to the authority and he was taken to the isolation centre and where he tested positive.
“We are tracking down people he must have come in contact with so that we can put them on isolation as well as his family members,” he added.
Bello urged the general public to use mask and ensure personal hygiene.